In Florida, especially in Venice, we see golf carts driving on the roads year round. Some are in gated communities or designated parks while others are stopped  at a stop light with a blinker on. All in all, golf carts are a great way to get around and offer a fuel efficient option for some fun in the sun.

The difference between a golf cart and a low speed vehicle (LSV), often called a “street legal” golf cart is fairly simple.  A LSV must be titled, registered and insured, adhering to the same requirements as a motor vehicle. Golf carts on the other hand, are not required to adhere to the same rules and regulations and are not required by law to be insured. However, many private communities require you carry liability at minimum, if you own a golf cart and live within that community.

Some auto insurance companies allow insureds to add a LSV right on their auto policy while others will require a separate policy be written. If you have a golf cart that goes no more than 15 miles per hour and is used only on personal property, a golf course or designated roads within a private community, then often times (not always), it can be added to your homeowners insurance policy.

If you’re asking yourself, “what type of insurance do I need on my golf cart?”, then we would suggest giving the office a call and we can help you determine what coverage is most appropriate for your situation.